(Most Recent at the top)
This page is no longer being updated. For a better view into 505 news and what is happening, see the What's New
- Sailing World article on the 505 Worlds, with full sized photographs. Formatted like the magazine article.
- Onne van der Wal images of the 1998 Sea-Land International 505 World Championship
- Explanation and ballot for Class Rule Changes. PLEASE REVIEW CAREFULLY, ENSURE THAT YOU ARE A CLASS MEMBER, AND RESPOND!
- Some 505 history from Christer and Pelle Båth Really Cool Photos!
- Straight from the 505 Inquirer, The '98 Worlds press non release. The story that was too hot to print, until now...
- The Fast, Wet 505 Classic Wire Act - On the Wire of the Fabled 505, Hyannis 505 Worlds article reprinted - with permission - from the February Sailing World
- California 505 Web Site
- Swedish 505 crew part of the winning Soling team of worlds match racing title
- Latest News of 505 #8, still sailing at 45 years of age..
- St. Petersburg Times article about the 1999 Florida midwinters
- All Big Spinnaker Test Reports
- SAIL Magazine article on the 1998 505 Worlds, with Peter McGowan photos
- Minutes of International 505 Class Yacht Racing Association Annual Meetings: 1966 to present (eventually)
- Updates to the North American Regatta Schedule
- Discussion on "hunting" from the 505world e-mail list.
- Letter from the French Section thanking the American Section for the 1998 505 World Championship
- World 99 in France will be an Open event
- KISS Rondar Moves North. Steve Yates of Kingston, ON, buys KISS Rondar.
- Boston Cosmos (Josh Adams/Brett Davis, Nick Trotman/Victoria Wadsworth, Mark Mendelblatt/Suzannah Kerr) win US Sailing Team Racing Championship - Hinman Trophy (they also won the World Team Racing championship early in the year)
- More Danish large spinnaker tests
- Minutes of the 1998 International 505 Class Yacht Racing Association Annual Meeting
- From the Wire, newsletter of the Canadian 505 Class Association
- Honourary Memberships in the Canadian 505 Class Association for Ali Meller & Graham Alexander.
- International Sailing Federation, President's Report, #14 November 1998
- ISAF Conference Final Report. The International Sailing Federation Meeting will result in a few changes that may affect the 505 Class.
- Brief Discussion of the above, hilighting some changes, by Ali Meller
- 505 Class American Section Coaching Program
- US SAILING Special Presidential Award for the Hyannis Yacht Club
- Marcel Buffet: Histoire d'un champion de 505, Story of a 505 champion, from the Swedish 505 web site
- Initial Impressions of the KISS Rondar by Ali Meller
- US SAILING NAMES SCOTT IKLE [long time 5o5 sailor] DEVELOPMENTAL COACH OF THE YEAR. Congratulations to Scott!
- Olympic Sailing Committee Names Gary Bodie Head Olympic Coach
- Agenda for the 1998 International 505 Class Yacht Racing Association Annual Meeting to be held Monday 21 September in Hyannis.
- Agenda for the 1998 505 Class American Section Annual Meeting to be held during North American Championship/Pre-worlds in Hyannis.
- Chris Nicholson quote on getting back into 505s after 2000
- 1998 505 Canadian Association AGM Minutes
- 505 Kitsilano Yacht Club Invitational, July 11-12, hilighted on ISAF July 17 Breaking News
- Recent 505 News.......July 1998
- The Dave Cahn Trophy
- Rules and Measurement Circular, 2 July 1998, from Rob Napier, Chairman of the 505 Class International Rules Committee
- An Ian Pinnell quote comparing 505s and Fireballs
- E-mail Listserver archives now on the web site
- The 505 Canadian Championship was highlighted in the ISAF Breaking News in the
- West Australia 505 Home Page
- 505 Practice/Training Drills you can use
- 505 Class coverage in the Tuesday June 16, ISAF Breaking News. 505 Event organizers! All 505 national championships and international events should have daily summaries included in ISAF Breaking News!
- Old 5o5s never die.....
- Two early versions (not used) of the USA Fleet 19 and Fleet 8 advertisement that ran in Spinsheet magazine. We may have a bumper sticker made from one of them. One version starring Team Spot (Barney Harris/Jesse Falsone) at the 1997 North American Championship in Long Beach, CA, and another version of Allan Johnson/Ali Meller racing 7200 at the '96 UK Nationals. The final version used in Spinsheet had the correct spelling for Galesville (not Gailsville).
- Discussion from the e-mail list about possibly changing the courses and the number of races a day at World Championships
- USA Fleets 19 and 8 (Washington/Baltimore/Annapolis and Hampton) advertisement in Spinsheet magazine.
- Australians switching to Proctor masts and gybing centerboards? The gear list of the top seven at the recent Australian National Championship
- Queensland Australia Update
- Great photo of Olle Wenrup (crewing) and Ebbe Rosen at the 1996 UK Nationals. These guys were 3rd at the '95 Worlds and 2nd at the '97 Worlds.
- Team Sweden at the 1982 Worlds in CORK Ireland, who on earth is that guy standing at the right of the image?
- Jyri and Kari Wilen, Finnish superstars from the late '60s and early '70s. Check out the nordic mainsheeting system.
- More Colorado fleet news..
- Lots of updates to the Pacific Northwest 505 site, with recent regatta reports and pictures. The Seattle fleet is rebuilding after several years of minimal activity, using older (inexpensive) 505s.
- Chris Nicholson (2 time 5o5 World Champion) & Daniel Phillips are Australian Nortel Sailor of the Year - Male, the second time Chris has been Australian sailor of the year. Some detail
- A number of current and past 505 sailors are racing in the Whitbread. So far we know of the following, there are almost certainly more.
- Roy Heiner, skipper of BrunelSunergy, which just won leg 7 of the Whitbread, past South African 505 Champion.
- Magnus Olsson, watch captain on EF language, Swedish 505 Champion 1974 and '75.
- Gunnar Krantz skipper of Swedish Match, and [ex] 505 sailor
- Paul Cayard, skipper of EF Language, 2nd (crewing for Dennis Surtees) in 1979 505 World Championship
- Lawrie Smith, skipper of Silk Cut, winner of the 1982 5o5 pre-worlds.
- Cam Lewis, on Innovation Kvaerner for the last three legs, 505 World Champion crew 1981 and 1982.
- A 505 Crew's Lament, provided by Dave Eberhardt
- Asymmetric Spinnaker on a 505: Initial Report..warning, not to be taken seriously!
- Why You Should Participate in the 1998 5o5 World Championship in Hyannis
- North 505 Sail Description, North Sails Gulf Coast (Ethan Bixby) on the latest developments in their sails
- US SAILING Recognizes Outstanding One-Design Achievements in Sailing, press release
- PFD Recommendations and Anti-hunting Rules Highlight US SAILING Spring Meeting, press release
- Advertising surcharge remains; proposal to remove surcharge defeated on postal ballot
- Ali Meller, our current International Vice President and former North American Vice President, wins US Sailing's John H. Gardiner, Jr. Trophy for service to one-design sailing!. Please read Jesse Falsone's letter of nomination
- Helle Jespersen (505 - DEN 7017) has won the Gold in women's fleet racing at the ISAF Worlds, and also won the bronze in match racing, as part of the Danish team
- French 505 News from Jean-Baptiste Dupont
- Santa Cruz News
- Dave Cahn - December 6, 1997
- Club Racing Revival A focus on the simplicity of dinghy sailing, combined with more convenient racing schedules, is bringing sailors back to club racing. From the Sailing World web site.
- Minutes of the International 505 Class Yacht Racing Association 1997 Annual General Meeting
- Ballot - Levy on Boats which display Category B Advertisement at Championships
- Using a Fleet Boat as a Marketing Tool by Debbie Ashby
- Large Fleet Expected for Florida Midwinters!
- Region II (of USA) Rankings for 1997
- New French 505 web site
- The Felixstowe Ferry 505 web page at http://www.btinternet.com/~spitfire/505main.htm
- 1997 5o5 World Championship Web Site
- Rendering of 505, showing rigging detail. Henry Hill has very graciously allowed us to use the beautiful image he created to illustrate the 1992 Sailing World Article, From the Experts: 505, written by Scott Ikle. The main image is an image map; you can click on portions of it to get a more detailed image of that area, with controls labelled. Also thanks to Paul Muus, a newcomer to the 505 class, who made the arrangements with Henry Hill, so that we could put these images up on our web site.
- New Danish 505 Web Site
- Minutes of the American Section (International 505 Class American Section) Annual General
Meeting, held July 9, at ABYC in Long Beach, CA.
- Colorado Fleet News: July 1997
- Cam Lewis' Adventure Learning Web Site at http:www.adventurelearning.com
- Agenda for Annual General Meeting to be Held at Gilleleje, Denmark, Tuesday 19th August 1997 at 1900 hours
- Coverage of the 1997 SeaLand International 505 North American Championship, July 7-11, at Alamitos Bay Yacht Club in Long Beach CA
- Move Over, Swanson. I'm Driving!, Jesse Falsone on the benefits of switching driver and crewing roles.
- The Inside Scoop for Sailing the 1997 NA's Race Course by Mike Martin
- Discussion from the e-mail list about allowing or banning hiking pants in response to the US Sailing Association Appeals Committee deciding they contravened ISAF Rule 49.1
- 5o5 East Coast Championships Highlighted on ISAF Breaking News page, June 12
- Coronet 1953 forerunner of the 5-0-5. From the May 1997 International 505 magazine.
- Twin Trapeze - from the May 1997 International 505 magazine.
- Excerpts from the February 23, 1997 (first) Tank Talk Lite
- Details on the UK 5o5 ranking system
- New Home For New York City, New Jersey and Pennsylvania 505 Sailors! Report by John Wyles
- Pablo Picasso team (Zack Leonard, Nick Trotman, Victoria Wadsworth, Josh Adams, Blaire Largay, and Megan Bohlen) won the Wilson trophy (team racing) in the UK. Report at http://sailing.org/regattas/ukteamrace/.
- Recent 505 News... May '97
Midwest 505 web site
- International 505 Class Yacht Racing Association American Section Constitution from the 1988 American Section handbook. Does not yet have all updates.
- US 505 Region Map
- 505s Return to Bermuda Race Week
- Midwest (US) Region International 505 web site
- Fitness for 505 Racing: Some thoughts from the e-mail list
- Henry Amthor and 505 team win Chesapeake Bay Star Wars Regatta... AGAIN!!! Star Wars is the Chesapeake Bay Champion of Champions regatta.
- UK Inland Championships from the UK 505 web site at Intersail
- Discussion of the minor hull shape differences between 5o5 builders - from the e-mail list
- Discussion from the e-mail list on whether to allow certified sailmakers to measure their own sails
- German 505 Web Site
- Minor 505 Class Rule Changes to Conform To New ISAF Rules
- 505 NUMBER 8 - still sailing! - reports in, with photo
- Five used UK 505s About To Be Shipped to the US East Coast
- Thoughts on courses for 5o5 racing a compendium of opinions expressed on the 505 e-mail list.
- Recent 505 (mostly NA) News.... March
- Waterat 5o5 Mast Specifications
- Recent 505 News.... May 1997
- Minor 505 Class Rule Changes to Conform To New ISAF Rules
- Recent 505 News... March 1997
- Updated 1996 Year End Wrap Up...
- 1996 Year End Wrap Up... Press Release
- Trailer, trolley and mast prices from Rondar
- News From Sweden by Ebbe Rosen
- Table of Gear and Crew Weights from the 1996 Ronstan 505 UK National Championship thanks to Bill Masterman
- The ISAF (IYRU) Evaluation/Observation For the 2000 Olympic Open High Performance Dinghy - the 505 report
- Minutes of the 1996 AGM in Townsville
- The Reconstruction of 505 USA-4565
- A Survey from the Canadian 5o5 Association
- A little more information on the Sailing World evaluation of the 49er, Boss, Jet and International 5o5
- A message from "pip" Pearson, President of the International 505 Class Yacht Racing Association
- Initial Sailing World report on the 49er, Boss, Jet and International 5o5 evaluation
- Sailing World and Cruising World are on the web.
- Comments to the IYRU a Seattle sailor regarding the 2000 Open High Performance Dinghy
- First issue of International 505 magazine in the mail
- Recent 505 News..... Australia, Zimbabwe, South Africa,
North America and ????
- Rigging details from the 1996 Worlds
- A message from Shona and Steve Loveshin, editors of 505 Express, the Canadian 5o5 Newsletter
- A message from Alan Walker, President of the Canadian 5o5 Class Association
- An Exercise Physiologist (and Olympic Sailor) View of Hiking by Shona Moss Lovshin
- Virtually no studies on hiking and backs have been done, according to Olympic
sailor and exercise physiologist, Shona Moss Lovshin.
- Which boat for the Sydney Olympics? from
the IYRU site. Reader comment is invited!
- Top 5 Rankings on the '95 Can Am Series
- Minutes of the 1995 International 505 Class Governors Meeting at Mounts Bay
- IYRU Additional Weight Rule Change Comments Article
- A Seahorse Magazine article about Nicholson's win
- World and European Championship Attendance: 1990-1995
- 505 Class at SAILEXPO '96 - A VERY SUCCESSFUL SHOW!
- Fleet 19 News - Feb. Fleet 19 Party
- Andrew Cole's article "getting into the 5o5 class on a tight budget.html"
- IYRU Press Release about 2000 Olympic Class Selection Criteria
IYRU Notices (this week) including invitation for classes/builders to
be evaluated for 2000 Olympic class. In Ali's humble opinion, the 505 class should apply!
- 505 Web Site Wins President's Award!
- Agenda for Annual General Meeting in Townsville Australia, during the '96 World Championship. Includes Proposed Rule Changes.
- Hull Only Weight Measurement Rule Removed by Postal Ballot
- A Message from Allan Walker, President of the Canadian 505 Association
- Minutes of the 1995 AGM
- International 505 Class Yacht Racing Association Membership 1990 - '94, by country
- Some more discussion on the proposed IYRU weight restrictions
- Tom Kivney's Thoughts on the IYRU Proposal to ban weight
- Blasting Out of College: A Newcomer's View of the 505 Class by Chris Museler
- More discussion on the new IYRU rules regarding wearing weight
- 95 World Championship Video Ordering Information
- A Message From Pip Pearson, President of the International 505 Class Yacht Racing Association
- Rumors & Gossip (some slander too) from the American Section VP
- A discussion from the e-mail list about whether the 505 should apply for the "high performance dinghy" spot at the 2000 Olympics
- Rebuilding Lindsay 6987
- How Strong is a 505? Howard Hamlin tells the
505 Interstate Flying Story. Would your boat survive this?
- Some comments on John Fry's Proposed North American Championship Venue Rotation
- John Fry's Thoughts on
A Rotation Scheme for the North American Championship
discussion regarding the IYRU desire to ban the wearing of extra
- Some thoughts on how to tie your boat down on the trailer for trailing.
- Some interesting gear noted at the 1995 Worlds by Ali Meller
- 505 Stuff in Sailing World
Fleet Building, by Howard Hamlin
- US 8439 Taken Hostage
Running a Major 505 Event, by Neil Fowler
- The 505 Class E-mail distribution list
- 505 Class at SailExpo '95
[Why a 505?]
[New & Used]