Information for Event Organizers
Updated 26 February 2003
A number of links on this page are no longer working as the material is no longer available at the original URL. If you know were that material is currently located, please e-mail the webmaster at firstname.lastname@example.org with the details, so I can correct this page.
This menu provides links to information that may be of assistance to organizers of 505 events.
Notice of Race/Regatta
- Write the NOR as early as you can
- Distribute it as early as you can via e-mail, web and mail
- NOR Rules and Template are in the ISAF Rulebook, in appendix M.
Organize the Social Activities!
- Sailing Instructions should be distributed at registration, early enough to allow competitors to review them before launching and before a competitors meeting if there is one.
- Sample Sailing Instructions from the Canadian 505 web site.
- 505 Class World Championship Standard Sailing Instructions (a template)
- ISAF Rules, appendix M and appendix K also cover SI.
- Fred Cox's SI generator. You can choose which sections to include, and enter the information. (No longer at the URL I had, e-mail me if you know where it is)
For unique instructions, you would need to save the page to a working area, then you can edit the HTML, either directly, or using the Communicator or maybe Front Page.
- A table of bearings for standard 505 courses (55,70,55 inside angles) for competitors and race committees
Race Management Links
- ISAF Race Management Manual
- The US Sailing Association Race Management Committee site has information on different starting systems, how to find a race officer, how to find a judge, reviews of scoring software and tools.
- Race Management Topics from the Dr. Laser web site.
- Regatta Organization Topics from the Dr. Laser web site.
- Race Management Links on Scottish Sailing site
- Berkley Yacht Club FRIDAY NIGHT and CHOWDER RACE PROCEDURES SUMMARY (checklist)
Finding Qualified Race Officers
For major events such as World and continental championships, you may wish to ask the 505 class secretary for a list of International and National Judges who the 505 class has been very happy with in the past. You can also search for IJs on the ISAF web site under Race Officials.
- Downloadable Protest Forms from the ISAF and the US Sailing Association. Both versions require the Adobe Adcrobat reader (which is a free download).