The 2023 5o5 World Championship has been moved to San Francisco.
23rd September 2023 to 1st October 2023.
Pre-Worlds Registration- Sept 21-22
pre-worlds (NA’s) Sept 23-24
Worlds Registration – Sept 25 / Opening Ceremony that night
Racing – Sept 26-27-28
Layday- Sept 29 (friday)
Racing Sept 30-Oct 1 – followed by Trophies
from Mike Holt re. change of World’s venue.
It is with much sadness that I have to announce that Santa Cruz cannot now host the 2023 505 World Championship. Way back in 1989 there was a major earthquake just outside of Santa Cruz and over the years much of the areas infrastructure has been upgrade to prevent problems in any future earthquake. For over 20 years there has been a plan in place to do the upgrades to the bridge that crosses the harbor. Unfortunately for us they have chosen this coming summer to start doing the work. We were informed by the Harbor Office last week. The impact is the Harbor will not grant the Yacht Club a permit to run the Worlds.
Clearly this has left us with a challenge. I have approached all the Yacht Clubs in California that have the capacity to run such an event and the St Francis Yacht Club has very graciously said they can host us. The dates would be September 23rd to October 1st.
A return to StFYC would be a very different event to the one in ’09, for several reasons:
- Late September is very different weather to summer time. We are into the fall when San Francisco experiences the warmest weather of the year, meaning the temperature difference between the coast and inland areas is much lower, resulting in a typical sea breeze in the mid teens. Some days it will be warmer and the breeze lighter, others cooler and a little fresher. We would expect a range of 10-20 knots.
- We would race on the Alcatraz/City Front. This is straight out from the YC, a few minutes sail to the start on the same race track the SailGP event uses from the YC.
- The water is deep here. No risk to masts.
- The Dinghy Park would be on the East side of the YC on a grassy area.
- The launching would be from the harbor using the new launch ramp.
- What would not change is the superb facilities and professional management that the StFYC always provides. Ample local accomadation and easy transport links.
Standby for additional information as it becomes available.